Sunday, November 15, 2009

Inquiry update #2

This week I have been looking at my forms to see which students I can video. Luckily I saw this idea on some other people's blog for I totally forgot about it. I started giving the students a few extra things to do. This week I would just randomly count how many student were off task. I was amazed that there were 12 last week. This week the average was about 6. I feel like these activities are keeping the students more on task but I would still like to see more of them doing what they should be doing. I am going to give them some more things to do and see if I can get the number to decrease even more in the coming week.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good drop in numbers- I wonder if you can involve them in monitoring the off task behaviors. I can't remember if you had that component- I think one person is going to video the class and then let the class watch themselves- could you do that (it might have been Laura).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that making them accountable for the "extra" things might help motivate those 6 who are still giving you trouble. Also, is it possible to pair those students who are still holding out on you with students that you can depend on?

    ReplyDelete