Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Task Five: Instruction-Domain Two

First, I read the article entitled "How to Keep Kids Engaged in Class." The article was helpful and gave 10 rules of engagement to help keep all of your students on task and focused. A few of the rules I already use but some of them sound like good ideas that I am going to start using. The rules focused a lot on when you are working with a whole group. That isn't were my problem is. I have a problem when it is up to the students to work independently because I am working with others and they rush through their work and don't do their best or are goofing off and don't get their work done.

Secondly, I watched a video "How to motivate students." This video showed a 3rd grade teacher, which is great because that's what I am, and how she started motivating her students by having a mascot in the room. It happened to be a stuffed horse but you could pick anything. The students helped her come up with a list of what she should see from the students and what they need to do to deserve the mascot. She would walk around with it and hand it out to the student or table that was doing their best on their work or staying on task. Usually the student that was making the most improvement. She was going to begin letting them take it home for the night so they can explain it to their family and take pride in why they had it.

Lastly, I read a blog entitled, "How do I motivate my student?" I found this blog somewhat helpful. It gave 3 strategies to motivate. They were make learning fun, ask students what they want to learn about, and use mini-rewards. I liked the ideas but I wish she would have went into more detail and gave examples on how she did these things.

How does this relate to the work you do in your classroom?
This reading did relate to my classroom because I have these problems. I think it was good to read and get some ideas and new strategies to try. Once again though, most of them talked about when you are working with the whole class and keeping them on task when my struggle is when they are independent and I'm with small groups.
How does this deepen your thinking about this domain?
This has deepen my thinking because I have realized how important this is. After reading this material, I realize that motivating the students is one of the most important parts of instruction. If the students aren't motivated, they are more than likely not to try their best.
How could this fit into your inquiry plan?
This fits into my inquiry plan because it has given me a lot of ideas on the sub domain that I am struggling with. I now have some strategies and ideas that I can use with my students to hopefully improve this part of my teaching and classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ivy,

    Great post!! i completely agree with how motivation is the baseline for classroom management and instruction. If my students are not motivated and having fun learning it's not going to sink in. Not only for the students but also for me as a teacher, i like having fun and it keeps me YOUNG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to look back for those other articles. I like the mascot idea too. I have a little Clifford I could use and I know the kids would like that. In first grade, they got to pick a book and a stuffed animal and take it to their seat to read to the stuffed animal but I don't do this and I can tell that they miss it. This might be a good alternative. I have used clifford to reward the cleanest desk but behavior is more important. Last year when we were studying elections, we held a mascot election. The kids nominated their favorite webkinz from the website. They debated them and then we narrowed it down to three that they actually voted for. We held a quick vote for a name as well. I purchased the winning webkinz and at the end of the year, I drew a name and someone got to take it home--code and all. It would have been neat to do something like what she suggested. Are you thinking the student gets it all day or do you move it often? If you do a group, who'd get to keep it on their desk? Would they fight over it and would it be a distraction? What about germs? Oh, Ivy, so much to ponder. Don't you agree that kids are so complex. What works for these 5 doesn't work for the rest. Billy over here thinks spiders are awesome but the rest of the class hates them. I just want to figure out how to keep one of my students (MY OWN SON) out of his desk and turning everything he has into a car. Reminds me of the movie Speed Racer. That's my son. I will keep thinking about your quandry about motivating the others when you're in small group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched a video with a 2nd grade teacher using agendas for behavior. Every day each student either recieved a happy face, a straight face, or a sad face. Each time a student recieved a happy face, they are awarded with a star. This star goes onto a chart that they keep in their desk that is glued onto a file folder. It reminded me of a blank 100 chart. Randomly spaced throughout the chart were spots marked "prize". There is no rhyme or reason as to when they occur. Each time a child has enough stickers to reach a prize, she gave them a small strip of paper that said "I get a prize today!" then there were choices for the prize. She had lunch with teacher, prize box, extra computer time, and homework pass. The students check which prize they would liek and return the slip to her. She only did the lunch with teacher every other Wednesday. I thought this might be a good way for students to monitor their ownb behavior, and this might help them know when they are doing what is expected of them during center time.

    ReplyDelete