Thursday, October 1, 2009

Task 4: Instruction

What domain did I choose and why?

I chose Domain 2: The Classroom Environment. I chose this domain for a few reasons. I think the environment is very important. If you set the environment right, good things will happen. I feel somewhat comfortable with my classroom environment but there are a few things I think I could use help on.

Which component from this domain are you most comfortable with?
I am most comfortable with 2b establishing a culture for learning. I think I make sure the students understand how important the content is, they know I have high expectations for them, and they take pride in their work.

Which component from this domain do you believe most strongly ties to instruction?
I think that 2 of them tie in with instruction. I think they are 2a and 2b, creating an environment of respect and rapport and establishing a culture for learning. I think both of these components need to be set into place to make the environment ready for instruction and the students know how to act and feel like they can take the risks with their assignments and group discussions.

Which component from this domain would you like to zero in on in your own instruction?
I want to zero in on managing classroom procedures. I like this area because it talks about small groups and noninstructional duties of the students. I have a little over an hour first thing in the morning where I have 3 groups working. They take turns meeting in a small group with me, doing centers with a partner, and doing independent seat work. I struggle with keeping them on target and busy when they've completed everything.

Question for the group....
If you have a rotation period like I mentioned above, what do you do to keep your children on task and busy when you are meeting with a group and can't guide them?

How the domains look in my classroom
*2a-My classroom has very good respect and rapport. The students know that I care for them and we have a mutual respect. I feel like the students care about each other and respect the fact that they are different. I have many children that always want to help the lower students instead of making fun of them because they can't read.
*2b-I have very high expectations of my students. They know what is expected of them from me and they know it has to be proficient or distinguished. I think excepting nothing less than that helps them with having pride in their work.
*2c-This is an area I struggle with. I mentioned it above. I have a rotation where students meet with me, with partners, and individually. I find it hard to keep them on task and busy while I am teaching a small group and they are on their own.
*2d-I think my classroom has a pretty good management of student behavior. I have had some pretty rough classes my first years of teaching. Every students knows what kind of behavior is expected out of them and they know the consequences. For the most part, the students are very well behaved and know what will happen if they misbehave. I don't know if I'm getting better at this or if I just have a much better class this year, but I am getting compliments on how well my class is behaving at least 3-4 times a week.
*2e-My classroom environment is very safe and learning accessible. When I first started teaching, I struggled with how to arrange my classroom. A few years later, I had to move my room around so my desk was in a certain place for technology. When I did this, I found an excellent way to arrange everything. I have a large table where I can meet with small groups, I smaller table where I can meet with a few students, a small table where students can do activities together, a carpeted area for students to read, and a computer area for them to use technology. I have my desks in 2 long rows in the middle of all this (the other things I mentioned outline the room).

5 comments:

  1. Great- very detailed- I like to hear about your class- I will get you into a group to respond to your question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Ivy. I've also chosen domain two. I loved reading your post. I also find keeping kids on task difficult. I find that I can only give second graders 30 minutes of independent practice then they can move onto something of their choice. They can read a book, write in their journal, write a letter to a friend, play a file folder game at their seat or with a friend. Sometimes I even set out a folder with "when you are finished" supplemental activities that are educational and fun. Although I still have to occassionally draw a student back to work, I can usually do this by clearing my throat or a quick snap of the fingers. Between visits with groups, I also do a quick walkthrough to make sure everyone is making appropriate progress. I struggle more with getting kids to do their best. Some just really want to get done--whether to go on to something else or they just aren't interested. I'm never quite sure what to do when kids give me less than their best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ivy,

    Great post!!

    One of the things my students have is everyday work. If my students get done early they know to get out their everyday work and work on it until everyone is ready to move on. One of the things I have found, my students now take their time and work a little slower because they know they will have to do more work until everyone gets done. BTW, the everyday work is not just busy work, its math and reading which is at the students skill level. As we know, special education students lack in these two areas and they could never have enough math and reading work. They have these 2 folders at their desk for easy access.....hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree Karen. That is where my problem is. I have work and things for them to do when they complete their independent work and centers but, like you, I don't think I am getting their best work at all. I am at a loss on what to do to make this better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since we work in the same school, I have had those similar problems with activities for them to do independently. We are trying to come up with activities that will give them a choice. For example, with our Fluency center, where they read a poem and grade each other on their rate and their intonation, we are giving them other options. Another option might be that they can right their own poem and have a partner read it. They can also act out the poem with a partner, or they can write a story about the poem. Since we have started giving them choices, they have been putting more into their work. I feel that it is because they feel like it is their choice, instead of doing it "just because the teacher said so".

    ReplyDelete